Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Taco Soup

One of my favorite things about winter is soup. It's comforting, easy, and delicious. I'm making a recipe for dinner tonight that I thought I would share. It's from a friend of mine at church. If you like chili, you will certainly like this soup. It reminds me of chili, but it's different enough that it offers some variety.

Taco Soup

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 (.05 oz) packages powdered ranch dressing mix
2 (1.5 oz) packages taco seasoning
1 (16 oz) can black beans, undrained
1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, undrained
1 (10 oz) can Rotel, undrained
1 (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
2 (16 oz) cans white whole corn
2 cups water

Directions:
1. Cook onions and meat together until brown, drain
2. Stir in dressing and seasoning mix
3. Add other ingredients and simmer for two hours
4. Garnish with cheese, serve with tortilla chips or crackers

This soup also freezes well. I put some left-overs in a gallon Ziploc bag and laid it on a cookie sheet to freeze flat (you can stack multiple bags on the cookie sheet to freeze). The frozen soup bags take up almost no freezer space and when I need a quick lunch at home I can quicly defrost and reheat this soup and it's delicious. Enjoy!

No comments: